3.11.2006

Quotes of the Day

I have gone through a long apprenticeship. I have gone through enough of being a nobody. I have decided that when I am a star, I will be every inch and every moment the star! Everybody from the studio gateman to the highest executive will know it.
Gloria Swanson, 1922







There once was a time in this business when I had the eyes of the whole world! But that wasn't good enough for them, oh no! They had to have the ears of the whole world too. So they opened their big mouths and out came talk. Talk! Talk! Talk!
Norma Desmond, Sunset Boulevard, 1950

8 comments:

  1. Argh, you've confused me good, now! Has your star risen higher here, or is no news good news? NEWS! Please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I think of dear Norma often these days. Thanks to Dreamworks I don't work at Paramount anymore but I go weekly for lunch with friends and the front gate guards are always glad to see me. Small victories, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Julie,

    Been missing you! Finished my first 434 script, so I'm doing nothing but drinking for the next week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Les, I forget not everybody reads the trades. The woman who wants to buy my script won't be doing so until she has someone to buy it for. Could be tomorrow, could be November, could be never should she come to her senses and go off to work for Greenpeace.

    As for the quote, I just though it was fun how short the ride is between wannabe and has-been.

    JGTH

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm ready for my close-up, Mr. DeMille.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for clearing that up, Julie. I don't know about short rides to "has-been"... my "wannabe" trip is soooooo looooooooooong... I doubt I'll live long enough to be a has-been. It's okay... I keep reminding myself that I don't adjust well to change, anyway. Mind you, as you say, I don't read the trades, so I will expect triumphant yodeling in this space WHEN your script sells.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything cool? Your usual torrid pace of entertaining posts has slowed...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm writing a book proposal for "Julie Goes To Hollywood" at the moment so blogging feels a big redundant. By the way, I'm in love with the word "torrid."

    ReplyDelete